Sep 6, 2011

What I Am as a Writer

What's your style?  What's your strength?  What do you think you need to improve?  What is your goal?

 Writing is like playing basketball to me. In basketball, once I keep scoring goals, the game becomes interesting and I get better. However, once I keep missing the goals, frustration and anger get the best of me. Similarly, sometimes I am fully submerged into the piece, my fingers flying across the keyboard. Once the tap is turned on, idea flows out. But most of the time, my face is frowning at the screen that just does not seem to progress.
 When I were younger, I quite enjoyed writing. Writing was the best way to materialize imagination into what everyone could see. The writings were mainly creative stories, such as "Rug Bug's House Horrors" or "Super Egg's Adventures." The stories were freely written, without any restrictions. Thus, writing did not pressure me whatsoever. It was after I went to middle school as I slowly lost my interest. The ratio of academic essays grew as stories lost their place instead. The pieces were even evaluated, giving me stress in writing. Frankly speaking, writing was never my specialty. Putting ideas and thoughts into an organized piece of alphabets is a hard, mind-boggling job. It is difficult, because I have to consider every single word to present the best work possible. Consequently, with all the effort, writing took long. Soon, I lost interest and only wrote what I was assigned to do. That should not have been the case, since I now realize that I do not like writing as much as I used to.
 Recently, I regained some interest in writing as there were some opportunities allowing me to write something other than TOEFL essays or literary analysis. One of the writings is the one that I wrote in philosophy class; which I liked, because it gave me space to think about the topic.
 It has been a long time since I had started to write, but I still do not exactly know my writing styles. However, I found out that I liked to explain more than giving bunch of statistics or examples. Usually, a right example for a specific situation is hard to find. For such situations, I try to clearly explain my thoughts in a general way for people to understand.
 My strength in writing is that it is easy to understand in terms of vocabulary. I usually write essays in easy, day-to-day language. I feel that complex vocabulary seems awkward, as I am not that familiar with the usage. However, I try to use higher level words as I become older. Still, not being exaggeratingly flashy is what allows my writings to be easily readable.
 My weakness is that sometimes I make unclear sentences. I tend to thoroughly explain what I think, but sometimes the sentences become jumbled up and unorganized. Since I understand what I wrote myself, I tend to skip the part that people might not be able to understand my writing.
 For me, I have several goals that I want to accomplish. First, I want to make writing enjoyable for me, since it is a crucial part of my life. I want to get rid of the tendency to evade writing as possible. Through frequent practices of different varieties of writing, I want to make writing a part of my life. Next, I want to make my pieces of writing to be enjoyed by different people. It is my goal to make my writing to be interesting and inspiring to read. In this semester, I hope that I would be able to accomplish my goals and have a nice year. :)

1 comment:

  1. Pine banana? I like it. You are pioneering new tropical fruits, and the neon background for your blog really matches. The entire thing reminds me of bubble gum for some reason.

    Anyways, good bit of writing about writing. It's definitely easy to lose interest if all you write is structured TOEFL, but I think that kind of training goes a long way to making you a better writer once you get some freedom. I hope that you'll find some of that this semester. I like your conversational tone, and your intro is excellent. You seem to have had flow for this particular essay, and I hope you didn't stare at the screen too often.

    I think, however, that a re-read would turn up some grammatical things you skipped past. A bit sloppy in some areas, and I think you'd see them if you looked more closely.

    I liked the philosophical writing, and your insights ring very clear and colorful. I hope you hang on to those ideals.

    All in all, great work.

    ReplyDelete